Smith & Bresson Club

Smith & Bresson Club
Smith & Bresson Club - I was inspired to create the Smith & Bresson Club for photography by the Pope and Young Club, which is for bowhunters. There are certain requirements, which a bow kill needs to satisfy in order to qualify for acceptance in the Pope and Young Club. The criteria to be accepted in the Smith & Bresson club will be based on my own subjective view of my work, which I will score. In short, those photographs that are part of this club will be my best work and those pieces, which would be part of an exhibition. Any photos that meet this criteria, will be marked by a small skull icon. To view the documentary THE BLUE WHITETAIL, go to the following website; http//:filmfreeway.com/873363 or click on the Smith & Bresson logo above.

April 29, 2012

Jackson Pollock, Willem DeKooning

'Willem DeKooning' - 1978                                                                                                                                                  snake

'Jackson Pollock' - 1979                                                                                                                                                     snake


Pollock & DeKooning. As a senior in high school, I was still learning about photographic composition. I really didn’t know anything about abstract or symmetrical forms, outside of the concepts of leading lines and contrast that my teacher spoke about. I certainly didn’t know of the masters of Abstract Expressionism, Jackson Pollock or Willem DeKooning (though I did see Pollock’s work ‘Lavender Mist’, which for some reason I hated, in a kid’s game called Masterpiece). In spite of the early experience, Pollock and DeKooning became my 2 favorite painters and I see now, how some of my nature shots resemble their work.

I have learned, through photographing with a full, 35mm frame, that there is a lot of ‘noise’ in the rectangle of the viewfinder. Your eye must constantly look for the composition to appear in the frame. Similarly, a bowhunter looks through the maze of branches, briars and bushes to find a perfectly camouflaged deer, always carefully concentrating on its chest, to send an arrow through the vital organs for a quick, humane kill.

Just as one can look at Pollock’s compositions and find the harmony within the lines, so does a bowhunter look through the abstract lines of nature to find the harmony in the shape of a whitetail.

No comments:

Post a Comment