Smith & Bresson Club

Smith & Bresson Club
Smith & Bresson Club - I was inspired to create the Smith & Bresson Club for photography by the Pope and Young Club, which is for bowhunters. There are certain requirements, which a bow kill needs to satisfy in order to qualify for acceptance in the Pope and Young Club. The criteria to be accepted in the Smith & Bresson club will be based on my own subjective view of my work, which I will score. In short, those photographs that are part of this club will be my best work and those pieces, which would be part of an exhibition. Any photos that meet this criteria, will be marked by a small skull icon. To view the documentary THE BLUE WHITETAIL, go to the following website; http//:filmfreeway.com/873363 or click on the Smith & Bresson logo above.

April 20, 2012

Bill Cunningham, Salzburg

'Bill Cunningham, Salzburg' - 1981                                                            snake

 
Bill Cunningham, the Bowhunter. This photograph is my homage to Bill Cunningham, the premiere street fashion photographer of the New York Times. Cunningham isn’t just any fashion photographer. He is arguably, the originator of the genre of documenting street fashion.  This photograph was taken in Austria in 1981. I saw a pretty, well-dressed, young woman with a wicker basket and a motorcycle helmet, through the reflection of a glass door. I knew nothing of Bill Cunningham at the time ( I just learned of him in 2011 when I saw the documentary Bill Cunningham, New York ) but now, when I see this photograph, I think of his work.

From what I know of Bill Cunningham, I think that he probably could have been a great bowhunter.  If you are familiar with his qualities and the way he approaches his work, then you know what I mean. For one thing, he is obsessed with his craft. He is very detail conscious, refusing to let anything escape his eye.  He also has tremendous integrity, both as a photographer and a human being. Integrity is key to being a bowhunter. While there are rules of fair chase, in the end, only the hunter and God, will ever know if a deer is killed within the confines of those rules or if it was poached.

Had Bill Cunningham pursued bowhunting instead of photography, I’ve no doubt he would have become one of the legendary icons of the sport, such as Fred Bear. His daily passion for going out to photograph, perfectly mirrors the obsession that hunting greats had for going into the woods in the pursuit of game.



No comments:

Post a Comment